You are here
Whats is Stereolithography?
Stereolithography (SLA) is the original technology developed to create 3D printed parts. SLA machines use a UV laser to polymerize photopolymer material.
Liquid Photopolymer material contained inside a vat that is cured via a UV laser. The platform is lowered into the vat by the defined layer thickness and the process is repeated to construct the part layer by layer.
Support structure in the same material are required to support the part under construction.
- Large parts
- Good accuracy
- Excellent surface finish
- Layer thickness of 0.08mm to 0.2mm
- Thermoplastic materials for end use performance parts
- Materials with good mechanical properties
- Low price compared to other technologies
- Industry approved materials
- Can manufacture lots of parts in one build
- Large build volumes available
- Unfriendly / messy process compared to other technologies
- Photopolymer materials
- Material performance not as good as other technologies
- Requires skilled user